Crispy Vegetarian Orange "Chicken". The best vegan take on Panda Express Orange Chicken! Crispy battered tofu baked in the oven and smothered in a delectable sweet and spicy orange sauce! Crispy orange chicken in a sweet, sticky sauce made with ginger, garlic and fresh orange juice is the better-than-takeout dinner your family will love.
While I usually went for the spicer Kung Pao or Schezwan dishes, my wife's favorite was always Orange Chicken. It's an easy vegan dinner recipe made with crispy fried tofu and a sweet, tangy, sticky orange sauce. It's reminiscent of the delicious Chinese dish we all know and love! You can cook Crispy Vegetarian Orange "Chicken" using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Crispy Vegetarian Orange "Chicken"
- You need of orange glaze.
- It’s 2 tsp of white miso paste.
- You need 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of orange juice (freshly squeezed).
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of white vinegar.
- You need 1 clove of garlic (finely minced).
- It’s 1 tsp of ginger (finely minced, grated or paste).
- You need 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of water.
- You need 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of lemon juice (optional).
- Prepare of breaded "chicken" (seitan).
- Prepare 1 lb of seitan (sliced, bite sized pieces).
- You need 2 large of eggs (whisked well).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 cup of cornstarch.
- Prepare 2 cup of vegetable oil (or more for frying).
This vegan-friendly alternative to orange chicken is so delicious; it just might become your new favorite dinner! What You'll Need To Make The BEST Vegan Orange Chicken Recipe. Cauliflower – You will need to use fresh cauliflower for this recipe. I would recommend a medium sized head of cauliflower.
Crispy Vegetarian Orange "Chicken" step by step
- Mix miso paste with warm water until completely dissolved. Add the orange juice, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar. Mix well..
- Heat the sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper. Sauté until fragrant. Be careful! It'll brown quickly!.
- Add the orange juice & miso mixture to the saucepan. Mix well and bring to a simmer..
- While bringing sauce to a simmer, mix together 1 tbsp cornstarch with 3 tbsp cool water to form a thin mixture. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce. Simmer until thickened. Cover and set sauce to the side..
- Beat salt and eggs together. Take a few pieces of seitan and dip into the whisked eggs, then dredge in cornstarch. Make sure all of the pieces are coated well. Complete the dredging process on the rest of the seitan..
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large frying pan. Test the hot oil by dropping in a small piece of the seitan. Once the ideal temperature is reached, fry in batches. The size of your batches will depend on the size of your frying pan (I do two using my large dutch oven). Fry until golden brown; 1-2 minutes per side. Place fried seitan on paper towels to drain excess oil..
- Once all the seitan has been fried and drained, place in a large bowl. Drizzle the warm orange glaze over the seitan and toss well. Serve over rice and garnish with fresh scallions..
You want just enough florets to fill the baking sheet but you don't want them crowded or else they won't get crispy. Great recipe for Crispy Vegetarian Orange "Chicken". This meal is definitely on the sweeter side, but it doesn't hurt to have it every now and then! My recipe involves homemade breaded seitan, but feel free to use tofu or a breaded meat substitute of your choice. I'll be posting a vegan tofu.